Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Learned to Knit: I can do ANYTHING. I am BATMAN.


Remember that indescribable elation you felt on your first bike cruise sans training wheels? When you earned your driver's license? (Your first orgasm?)

I have a story of equal magnitude. I did what I determined was impossible: I learned how to knit. I am Invincible. I am BATMAN!

I tried to knit at my friend Emily's weekly Craft Night sessions. I tried for hours, but I couldn't catch on. Later that night I followed along with Knitting YouTube videos. Two hours later, I gave in to despair. I gave up.

I met Jo Day at 5 Points Coffee and Spice a few weeks ago. I admired her beautiful knitting enviously and she offered to instruct me in its secret arts. I took the offer, but I was positive that learning was impossible.

It took me a few hours (we started at 7:30PM and parted at 12:30AM*) but I got it down. I did what I set in my mind was impossible. I am a knitter!

It's been years since I've accomplished something I truly determined was impossible. This is a welcome change. I became complacent. I got by on the skills I already have, and I gave up on learning new skills too easily.


FrankenKnit lives in chaos. He fights despair, he saves with inspiration. He's a sexy muse.


I call my first piece my FrankenKnit. The mistakes are obvious, but mothers love their children unconditionally. I've been adding one new line of stitches to my FrankenKnit daily. When I devote more time to it, FrankenKnit will become FrankenScarf.

Every time I add the row of stitches I'm awed. It's amazing to see my fingers making the motions. It's surreal to see myself knitting. I accomplished the impossible; I am Invincible.

Often, it feels like I'll never accomplish some of my long standing goals. I'll never become financially independent, never learn fluent Spanish, or never make a perfect roll of sushi.

But I am a knitter. So learning no craft is impossible. I can learn anything; I can do anything.

I'll start a new habit. Every time I'm beat down by hundreds of SEO articles due at work, learning a new language, or learning a new sewing skill, I'll pick up the knitting needles and add another row to a scarf. Every time I begin to think "this is impossible"- I'll prove nothing is impossible with my magically acquired knitting skills.

FrankenScarf is ugly, but he's given me a valuable lesson.

*I send a heartfelt thanks to Jo Day for patiently enduring my frustrated attempts at knitting for hours on end!

17 comments:

  1. When I first met you I sincerely thought 'christbombs...she's BATMAN', and this blog entry (lol - 'entry') only goes to confirm such things.

    Congrats on knitting success :) I fully intend on becoming a good enough friend to warrant something knitted for my birthday :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll start a new habit. Every time I'm beat down by hundreds of SEO articles due at work, learning a new language, or learning a new sewing skill, I'll pick up the knitting needles and add another row to a scarf. Every time I begin to think "this is impossible"- I'll prove nothing is impossible with my magically acquired knitting skills.داریوش

      Delete
  2. Being compared to Batman is one of the highest compliments one can give, I'm so honored.

    I hope that I'll be the PIMP of knitting and able to produce something of better quality than "FrankenKnit" when your birthday rolls around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In time to come not to mention usage perhaps even typically the govt of this wholesale handbags clothing through, and yet superior chanel replica maintain the capability from vacationing in surviving for the purpose of rather long. Vera Bradley gucci replica are generally willing accompanied by a specific methodology along the lines of whereas increasingly being hard-wearing, they even clearly define the fashion survey from a lovely women. Vera Bradley wholesale handbags need developed a unique spectrum good enough an adequate amount of towards alienate some hermes replica detects. Vera Bradley that had been formed through Mar 1982 will make Western concepts towards captivate all partner. Such attention-grabbing purses, with good good & hard-wearing drank are constructed with light quilted organic giving some unique take a look. There is also a attractive quantity of rolex replica as well as moods, garments not to mention time with the help of Vera Bradley. Typically the form to choose from because of Amy, typically the Handbag, typically the Hipster, typically the Move, typically the Morgan, typically the Hannah, typically the Betsy, typically the Villager and numerous others through most of typically the blinds are actually geared towards eliminating complete with the help of varying chanel replica. Typically the cupcakes renewable, optimism flowerbed, a purple pallette strikes and numerous others blinds gives you conspicuous in your public as they are even cheap to all pocket or purse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a topic that is close to my heart...
    Best wishes! Where are your contact details though?


    Also visit my site cheap sape links

    ReplyDelete
  5. هي نوع من انواع الخنافس وهي حشرة ضئيلة لامعة الالوان تبقى في الحدائق وتتغذي علي المنة ولها الكثير من الانواع والبعض منها يمكن التعرف عليه عن طريق البقع الموجوده علي سطح اجنحتها .
    شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
    شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
    افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very good post which I really enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great to see that some people still put in an effort into managing their websites.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Please share more information and I will bookmark to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this educative writeup. I do appreciate your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The overall look of your web site is great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

    ReplyDelete

  12. Awesome post.Thanks for sharing. This is so nice.

    ReplyDelete

  13. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks and Best of luck to your next Blog in future.

    ReplyDelete

  15. Thanks you for this. Read this blog. It is always so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. واریز سود در این سایت چقدر طول می کشد؟

    در این قسمت نهایی خدمت تان در ارتباط با مدت زمانی که ممکن طول بکشد تا واریزی های تان به حساب بانکی تان ارسال شود، اشاره داشته باشیم. از این رو باید خدمت تان بگوییم که شما عزیزان بعد از این که ثبت نام بابا بت را به درستی انجام دهید و بتوانید برای ثبت شرط بندی اقدام کنید، به مرحله ای می رسید که می خواهید سود دهی های خود را برداشت نمایید، در این مرحله شما باید حتما درخواست خود را برای برداشت پول های تان وارد نمایید و از ان جایی که تیم پشتیبانی در تمام بیست و چهار ساعت در حال فعالیت می باشد

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thank you for adding to the discussion! I always reply to any and all questions.

Like us on Facebook

Related Posts with Thumbnails