Thursday, May 6, 2010

Jacksonville Art Walk Inspiration

Last night I finally got to roam Jacksonville Art Walk as a spectator and not as a vendor. There was so much to take in and admire, I didn't get to look at everything. Regardless, I left feeling incredibly humbled and grateful that there are so many creative professionals in my city.


My first stop was Club 331 to see my buddy Jim's gorgeous paintings on display. I fell in love with this cardboard robot and bright art vignette above the entrance.

Jim's vibrant paintings are a beautiful contrast with the black stage at Club 331. I adore the Ray Charles and Kermit the frog painting entitled "Bein'Green". James sells prints of his artwork at Jameshance.com.


I couldn't stop admiring this gorgeous abstraction by Dolf James hanging in Southlight Gallery. I love the expressive and organic wires juxtaposed with the solid structural forms. This look at windows has the perfect mix, it makes me nostalgic for scenes in Italy where you'll still see laundry hanging from apartment windows. I like how this shows human presence in architecture and how it feels so controlled and disciplined.


These vibrant shadow box collages called out to me. These pieces please all the senses, there's a lot of texture and character to the objects in the foregrounds.


I especially love this brilliant fish dish piece. What fish fan could resist such a stunning combination? 

There were various Steam Punk pieces. I didn't take a picture of my favorite, a bloody steam punk "medical kit", but this heart burger is fun- makes you consider the cardiovascular implication of your last fast food burger.


And I feel guilty for this one, but I snuck one quick shot in MOCA downtown, which is against the rules. My favorite piece was a brightly-colored Picasso-style bull in bold cubist shapes, but I love this painting as well. Surreal and folksy at the same time.

This lovely display by artist Kei Horiuchi did me in, the picture doesn't do the stand justice. I ended up with four pieces from this artist, I love the simple, pastel, Japanese-style artwork. More photos of my new prizes pieces follow.


Behold one of my beautiful new fine art prints. It reminds me of some interesting traditional Japanese scrolls depicting octopus and women in compromising positions. It's perfect above my fireplace, along with other prize possessions like my Sarasota seashell and my new Puerto Rican mask.

By the way, behold the full glory of my mantle. Isn't everything perfect together? The Audrey II painting is by my friend Jim, the Puerto Rican mask was recently acquired from my mother city of Ponce in Puerto Rico, and the enormous vintage cuttlefish anatomy scroll is from an antique shop in town.

 
 This lovely fine art print is from the same artist who did my "naughty octopus" piece. Compared to all the other vibrant colors in my home it's a soft whisper of a painting.

 I love the restraint and simplicity in this painting. I like the girl's expression, it perfectly portrays the simple bliss that can come from cooking. The addition of Sanrio character My Melody only sweetens the pot!

 A final fun piece is this lovely skull screen print by Ryan Newhouser, I love this artist's bold, graphic style. He had a lovely painting of a moon sneering over a cityscape that's still tempting me. I knew that 'ol moon was up to no good!

I have a whole month to prepare for the next Art Walk, I have many fun ideas brewing thanks to an inspirational evening surrounded by beautiful art. Above is a preview of the fun video game inspired art I've been working on for next month's Art Walk!

Did anyone reading this attend Jacksonville's Art Walk? What inspired you the most? What kind of art inspires you?

2 comments:

  1. Coursesmart comes with whatever you want to shine within the chanel replica handbags and additionally provide your very own model announcement, and discover still be capable of finding a unsecured scent--which all of the fashionistas need. Any time you want an excessive beautiful purse options, you will also intend read websites choice replica tote chanel. There is a large amount of fashions from which to choose, numerous experts still look for wallets just for men of all ages in the exact location. Designs want chanel replica Jacobs, Burberry, Prada, and additionally Fendi really are appeared, to more than likely save cash just by researching in the exact location, given that the values are usually low-priced when compared to to all stores. There is still Prada messenger handbags useful just for succeed or possibly class, and therefore the beautiful booklet handbags right from Prada really are elegant and additionally useful like prada replica. You'll also find keepsake accreditation attainable in the exact location to produce a replica chanel handbags a the opportunity to retailer only at that space, still commonly are not really quite confident in which supplement to locate to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At present, now we have various hands-on graphics belonging to the full fake rolex sale adaptation belonging to the Rolex Deepsea Sea-Dweller D-Blue sit back and watch, that is definitely definitely occuring at Rolex outlets. You fake rolex sale previously mentioned before going without shoes is a powerful oddity designed for Rolex to release an important wrist watch beyond the borders of ones own natural Baselworld sit back and watch swap reveal lifestyle. Rolex admits it was subsequently a singular item so that they can achieve, though praised in overall mission belonging to the mission and even ones own preference to fake rolex sale have a shot at unique stuff. Rolex is known as a product that have an persona as a result tough a growing number of are in agreement it will be ones own chief project may be to fake rolex sale safeguard and not boost. In addition, any organization focused on attempting to keep that hearts and even opinions in rolex replica sale the nation's people similar would be wise to provide you with a product unique. Mission Times Design is actually in concert in Rolex's primary fanatics, consistently saving that brand's prime quality persona.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thank you for adding to the discussion! I always reply to any and all questions.

Like us on Facebook

Related Posts with Thumbnails